Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Governor Perry - What a positive message?

I must first say that I am not a fan of blogs. I read them; I don’t write them. I can never seem to get my random thoughts and rants down coherently on paper. However, I found an interesting article in the Austin American Statesman that was very interesting, along with a commentary blog from Postcards from the Lege. The article was about Governor Rick Perry’s first book that “champions” the rights of the Boy Scouts of America to keep out those who are openly homosexual and those who do not believe in God. He also berates the ACLU for pushing to extend those rights to all those who want to participate. Postcards from the Lege has provided some excerpts from the book which are quite shocking given the changing tide of society today. I believe that the article and the blog are both important reads because although the Boy Scouts of America are an important organization for today’s youth, segregation and prejudice shouldn’t be something that is practiced and taught to our children.

A sample from Governor Perry’s book: “Though I am no expert on the ‘nature versus nature’ debate, I can sympathize with those who believe sexual preference is genetic. It may be so, but it remains unproved. Even if it were, this does not mean we are ultimately not responsible for the active choices we make. Even if an alcoholic is powerless over alcohol once it enters his body, he still makes a choice to drink. And, even if someone is attracted to a person of the same sex, he or she still makes a choice to engage in sexual activity with someone of the same gender.” There are several other samples available in “Excerpts: Perry on gays, Boy Scouts and ACLU”, from Postcards from the Lege. Gov. Perry gives the impression throughout that homosexuals have the potential to be sexual predators and those that don’t believe in God will turn our children into atheists. Seriously?

No comments: